Tuesday, April 15, 2008

LET DOWN YOUR HAIR-OH AT GUERO'S





John had already arrived from Houston and was busy chopping down shrubs by the time I got home from work on Thursday. I figured he was too pooped to be interested in driving over to Austin for dinner, but when I mentioned that Hugh Fadal (the guy who was "singing my life with his words") was playing at Guero's that night, he said "Sure, why not?"

We had noticed Guero's every time we were on S. Congress, and thought it looked like a fun place, but just hadn't got around to trying it yet. We were happy to find it festively rustic, with splashing fountains, strolling mariachis, and food that was pretty darned good. After eating, we walked next door to Guero's Oak Garden, which has a covered pavilion for the band, a cantina-like bar area, and lots of picnic tables beneath huge twinkle-light-wrapped oak trees.

The weather was absolutely perfect, and the audience ranged from families with children, to older couples who wanted to show off their dance moves, and we had a cross-dressing gentleman in a ruffled mini-skirt thrown in for good measure. John asked the band to play "Hill Country Hippie" just for me, which they did, then during the break I went up and introduced myself, and tried to buy the CD, but they insisted on giving it to me for free. (We left an extra nice tip in their jar by way of thanks) I don't know how the evening could have been any more fun, unless perhaps some of you had been there with us. Maybe next time!

P.S. Well, what do ya know! I couldn't figure out why the first two pictures turned out perfect, but the second two were so blurry - especially since no one was in motion at the time. Now I see that there is a special setting on my camera for taking pictures at night. Have I mentioned before that I am technologically challenged?

3 comments:

lexlane said...

Acutally, I like the blurry pictures. They remind me of the night market pictures that dad used to have hanging up in his office in plano. I really loved those pictures.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Guero's was fun. Did you ever go there or hear about it when you lived here? That's where Dad wants to take Geoff and Jessica when they come - which they are talking about doing at Thanksgiving. Hope you can be here too. You can bring Jason, and Dad can give him lots of grief. Wouldn't that be fun?

lexlane said...

I mentioned Thanksgiving to Jason, and he actually said "cool, I've never been to Texas." so there is a slight posibility that I may have a guest for thanksgiving. nothing is set in stone though, it's a long time away.