Friday, April 18, 2008

DINNER FOR ONE - PIZZA PERFECTION


Not long ago we bought one of those Green Egg smoker/grill contraptions. We also purchased the pizza stone to go along with it. I just adore the smokey taste of a wood-fired pizza with a thin, crisp crust. Unfortunately, the stone did not come with directions, and we haven't a clue how to use it. For instance, should you place the stone in the pit first to heat up, before adding the pizza? If so, how would you ever manage to lower the floppy dough down onto it? If you put it on a pizza pan, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having the stone?

This week I tried making myself a small pizza for dinner, using a store-bought crust. I had purchased some yummy prosciutto and a fresh mozzarella ball when we were at Mandola Market in Austin last Saturday, so I made a pizza bianca. I chopped up fresh garlic and scattered it over the crust, layered thinly sliced mozzarella over that and put it in a 375 degree oven until the cheese was bubbling and starting to have golden patches on it. Then I pulled it out and piled on fresh arugula, drizzled a little EVOO over that, added a sprinkling of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, then topped it all off with a thin layer of the buttery prosciutto and a few shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano. It would have been orgasmic, were it not for my sucky crust.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.