Saturday, October 13, 2007

QUICK! BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! (2002)

Our daughter is now a college freshman, and I am starting to feel old. Things have begun to ache when I get out of bed in the morning. We went to visit Alexis on parent weekend at her school, and all that walking up hills and staircases caused my knee to go out. The doctor says "it's just arthritis". I can't be getting arthritis already - my parents are the ones with arthritis!

* * * * *

We just found out that John's mother is dying of lung cancer. For years she and John's dad had talked about moving to the Hill Country themselves, where George would renovate an old house and Theda would sell her paintings and woodcarvings in craft shows. Unfortunately, George had a major stroke as soon as he retired, and Theda spent the next seven years caring for him at home. And now, cancer. It just isn't fair! What if that happens to us? What if we just keep talking about moving, but don't actually get around to it, until one day we wake up and realize it's too late - we are no longer physically up to it?

* * * * *

John has started lusting after a motorcycle. A big Harley Davidson store went in near our house, and he keeps dropping by "just to look". Our dearest friends were in town for a visit last weekend, and while the girls went shopping, the guys went to look at bikes. As we were getting ready for bed that evening, John said "You don't know how close I came to buying a Harley today. I told the guy he would have to throw in a gift certificate to a motel though, 'cause if I bought one, I'd be needing a place to sleep!" I just looked him in the eye and said "You can have a Harley - but not until after we get a place in the Hill Country. I've been dreaming of that way longer than you've been wanting a motorcycle." The very next weekend, he suggested we make a trip down to Wimberley to start looking!

No comments: