Wednesday, October 10, 2018

GELLI FUN WITH FLORA AND FAUNA


Well, it seems I may have fallen down yet another artsy wormhole -- one involving the gelli plate, a tool for making monoprints without a press. This particular wormhole was created by Lucy Brydon, an artist whose work I have long admired from afar. She and several other talented artists are teaching a class on-line about their favorite ways to make art using a gelli plate, as well as different ways to use up all those stacks of prints you inevitably end up with.


The first lesson, from Lucy herself, had me outside gathering all kinds of plant matter from my yard, pressing it between the pages of my giant old dictionary...


then using it to create layer upon layer of see-through texture and color, making both negative prints...


and positive prints.


Our favorite print will then be turned into a finished piece of art by adding a focal point of some sort and by inking in a few fun details. I'm still trying to decide where to go with mine.


The rest will be used in other projects yet to be discovered.  Well, if I ever make it as far as the next lesson. Right now I feel compelled to try the first one over again a few more times, in order to try out all the other ideas that keep popping into my head. Thank goodness you usually get access to these on-line classes for at least a year. At the rate I'm going, it may well take me that long to complete it!

No comments: