Monday, May 7, 2018

NEW BOOK GIDDINESS

I rarely buy books anymore, getting most all of my reading material from our local library. However, when these two titles popped up in my feed by chance this week, I didn't even bother to do any research on them. I just went straight to Amazon and placed my order!


I mean, what better match for a creative grandma, an adventurous grandson, and the stack of Blue Apron cardboard boxes I've been accumulating, than a book called Epic Cardboard Adventures, written by the author of a blog called Pink Stripey Socks?!!!


Goobs may not be old enough to do any of these projects on his own just yet, but it won't be long.





In the meantime, there are several I could make for him, to play with now. Robot finger puppets? Egyptian pyramid? A king's crown? Where to begin?

The second book I ordered was this one:


Why did it reach out and grab me? Well, I love the work of Antoni Gaudi and, when we were in Barcelona, I learned that everything he designed was based on patterns and structures he observed in nature, such as the four basic design structures explored in this book. And, with these four,  the author created amazing art like this...


and this!


Perhaps this will help me to become a little more observant of nature myself, and to come up with some wonderful patterns that I can use in surface design projects, or to carve my own stamps with, or maybe to make patterns on my gelli plate then print onto my handmade papers. Who knows where it might lead me?

Is it any wonder that I'm feeling such giddiness?


No comments: