Friday, June 17, 2016

PASSING THE TORCH

This election. I swear. It's taking something out of me. So much hate spewing forth from every direction! When I think about my contemporaries at UT and at colleges around the country in the late sixties/early seventies, rising up against the status quo, actually managing to make real changes for the better by joining together to make ourselves heard, well, I just have to wonder. What happened to all of those idealistic people? How did we come to this? 

But, then, two of my kiddos showed up here yesterday evening, stayed up talking politics with us until the wee hours, and were both dressed and on the road by 6:30 AM, headed off to the State Convention in San Antonio, full of the passion and determination that my generation seems to have lost. Maybe things are not so hopeless after all. Maybe it was simply time for us to pass the torch to the next generation of caretakers and shaker-uppers -- the ones who still have a chance to make this world a better place. For this little dude...



No comments: