Friday, May 13, 2016

SIGNS OF SAN MARCOS

Hubby and I were in San Marcos (home of Texas State University) a while back, when he decided to stop into a little barber shop on the square. I had no idea how long it would take, so I told him I'd just wander around the square 'til he called me. First place I came to was the little cigar shop he's been going to for years, Hill Country Humidor, and I couldn't resist snapping pics of a couple of their signs.



That second sign, which was a common sight in the late 60s/early 70s, was rather humorous, considering the shop was owned by an old hippy! Hubby and his best bud Toad loved hanging out in there, smoking a cigar and gabbing with the fellow, who was quite a character. Sadly, he passed away not too long ago.

A few steps past those, I found other interesting signs.



This little cafe has anchored the square for as long as I can remember, and is the spot where we always took Lex out to breakfast when we came to visit her while she was in college. She even helped paint their windows with Christmas decorations one year!


The Root Cellar is a little basement cafe just off the square, which the Muses and I like to frequent whenever we are in San Marcos. (Their pesto burger is to die for!) Well, unbeknownst to me, they have opened a bakery cafe as well, right on the square!


Unfortunately, I'd only made it down one side of the square when I got lured into a great shop called Paper Bear. And, I'd only made it halfway through that when Hubby called to say he was ready. Guess I'm gonna have to make another trip back before long.

Favorite sign of the day? This one!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute. I like Walkens....xox