Tuesday, March 29, 2016

BOOKS, PLEASE!

I've hit a rough spot in my reading habit this week, and several books are going back to the library not even half-read. One was well-written, but I just couldn't find it in me to like any of the characters enough to care what happened to them. Another was also well-written, but every dang paragraph was a metaphor. Some savor that. I find it terribly tedious after a while. 

There was this one book though. One which, though aimed at another audience altogether, grabbed me in right from the get-go, making me care a great deal about what happened to the characters.


It's a wonderful glimpse behind the scenes at small-town-Texas life in general, and teen beauty pageants in particular. One memorable scene took place in Odessa, Texas, where my hubby grew up, in a bar I'm pretty sure we've been to! I think you just might like it -- especially if you've ever been a Dolly Parton fan!

But now, what should I read? Picked up any page turners lately? I'll read just about anything from historical fiction and chick lit to sci-fi and YA. About the only thing I don't read is anything really dark (didn't get very far into Gone Girl) or where bad stuff happens to children. Suggestions please!

2 comments:

musingegret said...

Am currently reading "The Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver; historical fiction which brings in Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. Really enjoying it! http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/books/review/Schillinger-t.html?_r=0

Hill Country Hippie said...

I read that quite a while back, and really loved it, but since our trip to San Miguel and Guanahuato last summer, where we saw so much great Frida and Diego stuff, I've been thinking I should probably read it again. Thanks for reminding me!