Friday, August 28, 2015

NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH





Well, you learn something new every day!

Although we did just fine the whole time we were in Mexico, within a couple of days of our return, Hubby and I were both having tummy issues. We didn't touch any of the street food while there, and our hotel had a reliable filtration system throughout, so we're thinking we must have met our Waterloo at that giant travel stop our bus took us to on the way back to Mexico City, where we shared a sandwich.

So what did we do when "La Turista" hit? Why, we took some Imodium. What else? That stopped the trots, alright. In fact, it stopped everything, for days! After it finally wore off, Hubby gradually went back to normal, but I was right back where I started. So, of course, I took more Imodium.

This cycle kept repeating itself, doses getting closer and closer together, for two weeks or more -- with headaches, chills and night-sweats getting added into the mix towards the end. After a horrid night, I wound up dozing on the sofa yesterday morning, and awakened to find that Hubby had actually punched the doctor's number into his cell phone and was holding it to my ear! Presumptuous little twit. Be that as it may, I am a wee bit grateful, for not only did I end up getting both antibiotics and probiotics, I learned a very important lesson.

Come to find out, our bodies actually developed the ability to hurl and spew for a reason. What is that reason? To flush out harmful bacteria. And, what happens when we take OTC meds that stop those two things from happening? Well, those little buggers stay trapped inside. And multiply!

Now that I think about it, I may have heard my sister-in-law-the-nurse discussing this very same thing awhile back, but didn't pay much attention. Why not? Well, because I'm Super Becky, that's why -- the one who never gets sick. Doh!

Oh yeah, guess what else I learned? You can also take prophylactic antibiotics when you travel to places where La Turista is a known issue, to keep you from getting it in the first place (Double-Doh!!) -- something we might be wise to consider for the upcoming Epic Sudanese Adventure, no?

No comments: