Tuesday, July 7, 2015

HOT! HOT! SUMMER GARDEN COLOR


Coneflower 'Hot Papaya'

I love my native coneflowers, I really do! But, being the color-crazy girl that I am, I just couldn't resist picking up one or two of the color-mad hybrids that started popping up in the last few years, like that Hot Papaya up at the top. To tell you the truth, I didn't expect them to come back this year at all, much less thrive! But they did. So this year, I added a couple more.


This one (Cayenne? Cheyenne?) looks solid red from a distance, but when you get up close, you see the most beautiful streaks of color!



What I love most about coneflowers is how each bloom changes as it matures.


They start out with green centers, and petals thrusting upward, but then the petals come down into a flat daisy shape, before the whole thing morphs into a badminton birdie!


Some have colors that change as well, so you end up looking as if you've got several different kinds of flowers, all growing on the same plant!



Coneflowers -- get 'em while they're hot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice coneflowers, the deer ate some of mine so I only have a few flowers left, ah well! xox