Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A TINY THING THAT PLEASES YOU

"I think that sometimes people don't grow fresh food because they think that it is too much work. So my advice to you is to only grow a tiny thing that pleases you, and enjoy that tiny thing for all it is worth." ~ Joie De Vivre: Simple French Style For Everyday Living, by Robert Arbor

My initial plan, when we added the terraced beds of the Cantina Garden, was to grow mostly vegetables. However, between the deer, racoons, armadillos, and this incessant drought, it didn't take long for me to realize that I just wasn't getting enough return on my investment. Over time, those veggies gradually got replaced with native or well-adapted perennials, which require almost no work on my part, and little or no extra water once they are well-established. Eventually I realized that just about the only edibles I had left were my cooking herbs, and my asparagus patch -- that one tiny thing that pleases me. Lucky for me, it's a perennial which comes back year after year, and the deer hate it! My seven or eight plants aren't huge producers, and the harvest season is short, but I guar-on-tee, we enjoy each and every stalk for all it's worth!

The season is drawing to a close now, but I did manage to gather enough asparagus over the last few days to make this delectable repast for our dinner last night, with enough left over for breakfast this morning. Try it. You'll like it!

FRITTATA WITH ASPARAGUS, TOMATO, AND FONTINA CHEESE
from Everyday Italian, by Giada De Laurentiis
(serves six)

6 large eggs
2 T. whipping cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
12 oz. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tomato, seeded and diced
3 oz. fontina cheese, cubed

Preheat the broiler. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper to blend. Set aside. In a 9 1/2 inch nonstick ovenproof skillet, heat the oil and butter over a medium flame. Add the asparagus and saute until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.


Add the tomato and saute 2 minutes longer. Pour the egg mixture over the asparagus mixture and sprinkle the cheese over. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the frittata is almost set but the top is still runny, about 2 minutes. Place the skillet under the broiler and broil until the top is set and golden brown, about 4 minutes.


Let the frittata stand for 2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittata from the skillet and slide the frittata onto a plate. Cut the frittata into wedges and serve.

  

No comments: