Wednesday, February 11, 2015

THE TEA LADIES OF KHARTOUM


I think I've mentioned before that one of my very favorite things to do in any country is to go have tea and experience the local rites that go along with that. I had only heard about Sudan's special way of brewing coffee however, and feared there would be no tea to be had. I was wrong. Just try googling "tea ladies of Khartoum", and you'll see just how mistaken I was!


I first read about the Sita Shays, or Tea Ladies, in this blog post about the night life in Khartoum. I also found several interesting videos about them. I especially liked this one done by a local student.


Fortunately for me, although I did see some warnings about avoiding cold beverages, ice, and street vendor foods, hot beverages seem to be acceptable -- probably because the water is boiled. 


Now all I have to do is decide which flavor to try, and practice saying Sukr Bala!

No comments: