Monday, January 5, 2015

THE URGE TO PURGE

There is something about putting away the holiday decor that always sets off a chain-reaction for me. When we first set up the tree and get out all the gee-gaws, I just love, love, love them! But once Christmas is over, and you've added in all the new loot, the boxes and bags, the leftover food and candy and cookies? Well, all that clutter starts givin' me a major case of the heebie-jeebies!

So this week I worked on whipping my house back into shape, and it got me to thinkin' -- about which decorations I truly loved, and which were just adding to the clutter. That, in turn, started me thinking about how best to store them. Originally they all went up into the attic, and it required two people to get them down. Well, I don't like waiting around for my hubby to get in the mood for that, so I made room for them all in a downstairs storage closet. This year I decided to go one step further. I thought, what if all the Christmas teapots that I usually display on this kitchen hutch...


got stored in one of the cabinets right below?


And, what if all the snow babies and such that usually get displayed on this Chinese medicine cabinet...


could be stored in that center cabinet just below?


Simple enough task, to clear a little space here and there, right?  

WRONG! Next thing you know, the dominoes are falling, and you find yourself doing a major purge on every closet and cabinet in the house!

Next up is the bedroodio.


I was gifted with lots and lots of artful goodness this Christmas, including everything one needs to experiment with a whole new medium (more about that later). But, as you can plainly see, the cupboards are anything but bare! So where shall I put it all?

Guess I could start by moving the rest of my gardening books down to the Man Cave, since the gardener's mantle has now been shifted firmly back onto Hubby's shoulders, where it rested for the first 20 years of our marriage -- until I stole it away, temporarily, in my desperate search for a creative outlet.


Then perhaps I can figure out how to make better use of this lower shelf.


If worse comes to worse, I suppose I could get rid of a few cowboy hats and purses, to make some room in my miniscule closet.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We purged for the move and I can purge again. I'm honing away as I mentioned and am going to do just that. Looking good. xox

Hill Country Hippie said...

The good thing about having to move every few years during my husbands career was that I always did a major purge before packing up. The bad thing was that each house was a bit more spacious than the last, and my hubby just can't abide empty space! So of course, he had to fill it with stuff. Now we've downsized to a house not much bigger than our first one, and we've lived here longer than in any other house, so the "stuff" is starting to close in on me!