Sunday, August 24, 2014

THE SEASONAL SUNDAY DINNER

I got a couple of gorgeous pastured pork chops from local producer Richardson Farms this week -- an occasional splurge that makes my hubby quite giddy.


Before deciding what to do with them, I made a mental list of the fresh ingredients that had come in my Bountiful Sprout basket on Wednesday and needed to be used up.


Then it became perfectly obvious that what I needed to prepare was our all time family favorite from back in our Indo-days...

ASNAH'S PORK CHOPS
(serves four)

4 one-inch pork chops
4 cloves garlic, minced
freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 onion, in thick slices
2 carrots, in chunks
2 potatoes, in chunks


Preheat oven to 350 F. Place pork chops in a large baking dish and pierce with fork. Add minced garlic, freshly ground black pepper and soy sauce. Turn chops several times until well coated on both sides. Top with thick onion slices.


Bake pork chops in oven at 350 for 30 - 45 minutes, depending on how thick they are. Meanwhile, cut the carrots and potatoes into largish chunks and boil until almost done (about 10 minutes?).  When meat has cooked for 30 - 45 minutes, add the veggies to the baking dish, turning them to coat in the accumulated sauce on the bottom of the dish. Return dish to oven and cook 15 minutes longer.


Since two pork chops came in the package, and one was more than enough for the two of us, I'm thinking I just might use the other one to make this other seasonal delight later in the week, provided I can still get my hands on some decent blackberries.

Bon Appetit!

No comments: