Sunday, August 10, 2014

OUTLANDISH

So, who wants to go to Scotland? No? Then I'm guessing you didn't watch the premier episode of the new STARZ network series, Outlander. If not, why not? It'd be worth it for the music and scenery alone. But the story? Oh my, the story!

The series is based on the books of  Diana Gabaldon, the first of which came out more than twenty years ago, which is when I started reading them. I must admit, after reading that first one? I don't think I've ever been so anxious for a sequel to come out in my life! Well, maybe the final Harry Potter book, but I'm not even certain about that.

I am ever so glad that I didn't go back and re-read them right before this series came out. If I had, then I probably would have spent too much time thinking about what was different in the film version, or what they left out, instead of letting myself get caught up in the magic. In fact, I envy those of you who don't know the story at all, and are experiencing it all for the first time! Fortunately, I don't really remember the details. I just remember the way it made me feel as I was reading it, which is pretty much the way I felt last night when watching that scene where the village women sneak out in the middle of the night, on the Scottish version of Halloween, and dance around the ancient stones to hauntingly beautiful music. It took my breath away -- even watching it on my little 12" screen upstairs!

Which is why I'm doing something I never, ever do. I scrolled through the TV guide and found where they are showing it again today, and set it to record. Why? Just so I can see what it's like to watch it on the BIGASSTV downstairs in the Man Cave. If you don't get STARZ at your house, you are more than welcome to join me!

P.S. My TV upstairs is not really 12". Actually, it's more like 12x20, but you'd never know it from the reactions we get whenever someone of the male persuasion walks through the front door. Usually they stand there looking around for a bit, then say something like "So where's your real TV?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not reas the Gabalon books but the ads for the show looked pretty intriguing. I do get Starz, shall have to check it put. zox