Friday, August 22, 2014

A PLACE WITH NO SEASONS

The View From Our Porch As Newlyweds
Every August I ask myself why we still live in Texas. However, as soon as we get that first tiny hint of cool weather in September, I find myself thinking "Ah yes, that's why. If August hadn't sucked so badly, I wouldn't be nearly so euphoric over this tiny bit of cool breeze!"  As they say, you've got to experience the bad to fully appreciate the good. You can trust me on that. After all, I did live in paradise for many years.

When we lived in Indonesia, the sun came up every morning at 6:00 AM. The sun set every evening at 6:00 PM. Every afternoon we had a brief rain shower. The high and low temps stayed pretty much the same year round -- never too hot, never too cold. Know what? You can get really, really bored in paradise. Which is why, come Christmastime, we'd usually find ourselves cranking up the AC as high as it would go, just so we could put on a sweater and pretend it was winter.

And, no, I'm not a huge fan of the periodic ice storms that paralyze this whole area, or the flash flooding and gale force winds that can pick your entire roof right up off of your house. But one thing I gotta say for them -- they sure have a way of reminding you just how great it is to be alive! 

No comments: