Monday, November 4, 2013

A SOLEMN VOW

Lisa Seger, one of my instructors at Lucky Star art camp, made us all take a vow before we left her veggie-growing class. She made us all promise to go plant some radish seeds as soon as we got home. She said they were one of the easiest things in the world to grow, and we would have something to harvest in about 3 1/2 weeks -- some positive reinforcement to make us feel like successful gardeners.


I meant to do it, really I did! But somehow it just slipped my mind..until she posted a picture this week of her hand filled with these beautiful French Breakfast radishes -- radishes which she planted from seed right before leaving for camp. It was a gentle reminder that we too could be harvesting our own food this week, if only we had kept our vow.

Well I rushed right out and bought a packet of seeds. It says I can continue to plant them until 30 days before the first frost. That could be at the end of November, or it might not be until January. You just never know around here. Anyhoo, I think it's worth the risk, so I'm planting a few today. If they don't make it, well, I'll plant some more in February! A farmer must be intrepid, right?

No comments: