Sunday, October 20, 2013

WEEKEND STUDIO, AND BACK AT ART CAMP...

My big goal today is to finally finish unpacking from my five days at Lucky Star Art Camp, which ended a whole WEEK ago!  What can I say? That's just how I roll. I have plenty of excuses, of course, the primary one being that I needed to play with some paint, while everything I learned was fresh in my brain! This was the result:




Speaking of little girls who feel like dancin', have you seen this? Sometimes a gal's just gotta do it the way she feels it, right Alexis Lane?  Now back to Lucky Star. I still haven't told you about day four -- which was so jam-packed, I will have to divide it up into a couple of posts!

On Saturday, our last full day at art camp, I spent the morning in a photography class on self-portraiture. Our instructor was Vivienne McMasters, who came all the way from Canada to teach us how to "Be Our Own Beloveds." You'll never guess what I discovered, right off the bat! That little point and shoot camera that I've been using for years now, and taken a gazillion pictures with, none of which had me in them? Well, it has a built in timer!!! Who knew? Even more amazing is all the fun things you can do with a timer, other than just running over at the last second to squeeze yourself into a group photo.

Many photographers are kind of camera shy themselves, and actually like having an excuse to be behind the camera, rather than in front of it. Therefore, Vivienne eased us into it gradually, having us first take some shots with just a hand or a foot in them.





Next we experimented with lighting. She said, oftentimes, when you see a bad picture of yourself and declare yourself "unphotogenic", it could just be bad lighting. So we tried just standing in one sunny spot, snapping "selfies" as we faced into the sun, to the side, back to it, etc. I kind of like the fuzzy-halo look you get when the sun is behind you.


Last, but not least, she turned us loose to play with our timers. Most important step? Do a goofy "shake it out" dance before each shot, so you don't look too stiff and posed!




My new goal in life? Figuring out how to catch leap shots, so I can learn how to Potter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm smiling the biggest smile right now :) - absolutely love seeing these shots of you!!