Thursday, September 12, 2013

THE ART THAT GRABBED ME GAME

I have never claimed to be an art connoisseur.  To tell you the truth, for the first twenty or so years of my adult life, I chose all of my art according to how reasonable the price and how well it went with my decor. In fact, the masterpiece over my fireplace in those days was a Monet print I ordered from Spiegel catalog, which made my artist mother-in-law a wee bit crazy. The trouble with buying art in this way, I later discovered, is that after a while, you just quit seeing it. All that changed when we moved back to Indonesia.


Just a few months after we arrived, there was a school holiday, and we joined several other families on a little trip to a resort in Penang, Malaysia. One day when we were exploring in town, I came across these two paintings in a street stall, and something about them stopped me in my tracks.





They cost way more than I would normally spend, and they weren't really even my colors, but, though I tried to walk away from them several times, something kept pulling me back. Eventually my hubby said "Just buy them, for Pete's sake!"





If you look closely at the people, they are almost child-like in the way they are drawn, and yet something about these images just mesmerizes me. They've had a prime place in every house since -- a place where I can stand right in front of them and lose myself in their imagery. Even now, almost 20 years later, if I do this? I can actually smell the spices from the food vendors and the clove scented cigarettes that most of the men smoked, and hear the chattering voices, honking horns, bicycle bells, and the scratchy music drifting out from the shops. It's the next best thing to time travel!

There have been a few other instances over the years, where art just grabbed me and wouldn't let go. It wasn't until recently that I finally realized they all had something in common. I'll be sharing some of them with you in the coming weeks, and we'll make a game of it, to see who can figure out what that common thread is -- and no, it isn't the thing about time travel!

No comments: