Wednesday, June 26, 2013

JEKYLL AND HYDE

If you are a regular reader here, you have probably heard me mention more than once that my hubby is everyone's favorite patient when he is in the hospital. He never gives them a moment's grief, saying "I just don't see the point of pissing off the ones who are trying to take care of you." Smart boy. It would be like being rude to someone who is handling your food. You'd have to be crazy, right?

Unfortunately, that philosophy doesn't seem to hold true here at home. Our daughter brought it to our attention recently that hubby usually manages to piss me off royally within 24 hours of getting home from the hospital. Right after his brain bleed, when he was still extremely weak and wobbly on his feet, he walked out the door with our grand-dog on a leash. I thought it was nice of him to take her out to do her business, but was a little worried because she is not good on a leash. If she saw any kind of critter out there by the garage, she would surely take off after it, causing Hubby to do a nose-plant on the concrete. A while later, when they still hadn't returned, I went out looking. I searched every inch of our four acres, and couldn't find them anywhere. I hiked down our long steep driveway and looked up and down the road. No hubby. By the time I found them resting down by the creek, behind a house that was being built down the road from us, I was pretty much hysterical. Hubby just couldn't understand why I was so upset, when he was perfectly fine (though lacking the energy to climb back up our driveway just yet).

After his first pacemaker was implanted, and he was told not to lift anything heavy, or even raise his elbow above his shoulder, he proceeded to unpack his new outdoor fountain from its carton and put it together, the first time I turned my back for even a moment.

Which is why, last time our daughter was at the hospital, she said we should take bets on how long it would be before he made me hit the roof this time. Whoever guessed "about five minutes" would have won.

No comments: