Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A DATE WITH DAUGHTER

 
Once in a blue moon, when daughter Lex has a bit of time off from work, we manage to get together for an artist's play date -- one where we explore new-to-us shops as well as a few old favorites. She is usually on the look out for design inspiration, while I get my jollies from color and great merchandising. One shop where we both always manage to get our fix is this one.


Can you guess which one it is? There's probably one in a city near you!


Unfortunately, stores like this aren't usually too keen on people snapping photographs. They are a bit proprietary about their merchandising ideas, and I can't say that I blame them. Which is why all these shots were taken rather surreptitiously. My daughter, however, claimed it looked more like I was about to steal something and that, if anything, my stealth was actually calling attention to us! Okay, just one more shot. I'm crazy in love with these little cafe' au lait bowls. Did you know that the French often sip their coffee from bowls, rather than cups? That came as quite a surprise to me, when I first read about it in Robert Arbor's book Joie de Vivre.


Can you imagine getting paid to sit and doodle all day, coming up with sweet designs like those above? I know a few art bloggers who have made that happen!

Speaking of the French, guess where we had lunch yesterday?


Le Cafe' Crepe, in downtown Austin. What a fun little place!


Check out the jars of Nutella sitting atop this cooler:


Each one was as big as my daughter's head, I kid you not!


The Eiffel, with asparagus, chicken, provolone and Mornay sauce.
The Chloe, with Nutella, strawberries, bananas, powdered sugar and whipped cream.
Ooh la la! What a day we had!

No comments: