Friday, April 26, 2013

WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE

New Page For My Nature Journal
I am not a fan of armadillos. It was kinda funny when it was a cute baby armadillo, and it preferred hanging out in my hubby's beds upstairs. Cracked me up to see John running around with his flashlight, night after night, determined to "nab that pesky varmint!" Not so funny anymore.

This morning was the second time in the last couple of weeks that I have thrown open the windows and settled into my writing nest, only to be distracted by a strange rustling sound coming from down in the Cantina Garden. Sure enough, it was 'Dillo Dan, only he ain't so little and cute anymore. He's turned into a leviathan that could probably go toe-to-toe with a VW beetle, and win! I managed to run him off by flipping on the porch lights and aiming a hose at him, but the damage was already done. He seems to have it in for my coneflower bed.

Here's what I'm wondering.  As you know, the Cantina Garden is a terraced garden. You can't get from one bed to another without going up and down steps built for human-length legs. With his itty bitty legs, I just don't see how he does it, unless he starts on the top level, then rolls himself up into a bowling ball and hurls himself down from one level to the next. If so, I hope it hurts!

No comments: