Thursday, April 4, 2013

THE ASPARAGUS SOLUTION

I LOVE eating asparagus from my very own garden.  What I hate, though, is this:


Six foot tall asparagus fronds flopping all over the place! Unfortunately, you can't trim them down until they die back on their own in winter, as they are collecting sunlight and storing energy for next year's crop. It got me to thinking about the narcissus bulbs I used to force, and the way they tended to flop around. My solution was to loosely tie them together, so they would support one another and stand up straight. I thought maybe I could just tie a piece of that stretchy garden twine around each clump of asparagus and get similar results. But then I had an even better idea.

Back when I worked at Buchanan's Native Plants in Houston I used to decorate seasonally. In autumn I would tie giant corn stalk bunches to our porch columns with big sparkly bows in all the pretty fall colors. Regular ribbon would have collapsed the first time it rained, but we had this amazing, scrunchable, mesh-like stuff that came in every possible color. Well, guess what I found at Hobby Lobby the other day?




Ah yes, MUCH better!

No comments: