Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A BOOK TO SPAN THE GREAT DIVIDE

 
My hubby happened to be with me when I stopped by the library the other day, to pick up a book I had placed on reserve. When he saw the book in question, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, his jaw dropped. "You're reading THAT?", he blurted in surprise. "Yeeeess. You got a problem with that?" "That's the book I just finished reading on my tablet!"

Now, that is a surprise, for, if hubby and I are miles apart in our movie preferences, we are planets apart when it comes to books. Meaning, we absolutely never read the same ones. He sticks mostly to Sci-fi, while I'll read just about anything but. He only reads via electronic devices, and, though I do own a Kindle (one of son's castoffs when they came out with the next big thing), I never, ever, use it. I love the feel and the smell of a real book in my hands. So why on earth would my hubby be interested in a book about a mysterious old bookstore, where no one ever seems to buy anything, but where a few odd customers come in regularly to "borrow" strange old tomes that seem to be written in some sort of code? Why, there's even a chapter entitled "The Smell of Books"!

I'm only a quarter of the way through, but I'm beginning to understand what the attraction might have been. You see, the main character, a young web-design drone in San Francisco, loses his job when the economy tanks, and ends up working the night shift at this strange bookstore just to pay his rent. There he meets a beautiful programming whiz who works for Google, and, along with his geeky pals and a artsy roommate who happens to build props for sci-fi movies, they decide to solve the mystery behind this strange bookstore. It's sort of like Big Bang Theory meets Scooby-Do. Could be interesting, no? Wonder if any of other favorite geeks (my kids, nephews and nieces) have read it?

No comments: