Saturday, January 12, 2013

STUDIO SATURDAY: STAMP CARVING

I did it! I finally did it!

 
I finally carved my very first stamp, using a Speedball linoleum cutter -- and I managed to do it without any bleeding whatsoever, using a tutorial by Jeanne Oliver, from one of my 12 Artsy Ornaments projects.


My inspiration was one of those crazy owls above, from a project I did in Junelle Jacobson's first Art of Wild Abandonment class. I love those owls!


There were one or two mishaps along the way -- like when I was trying to carve out a teeny-tiny highlight in each pupil, and instead gouged out most of the pupil in one eye -- but hey, what did you expect on my first attempt?


Besides, it's his imperfections that give him so much character. Right?

2 comments:

maaike said...

Ohhhh that's such a cool stamp and such a smart idea to make one of the owlies from the journaling page!! awesome!!!!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks Maaike, I can't wait to try making a few more!