Sunday, December 16, 2012

SUNDAY'S SIMPLE GRATITUDE: FAMILY-RUN RESTAURANTS

 
My hubby had an appointment with his dermatologist in New Braunfels this week. While I sat in the lobby, waiting for his return, I began to ruminate on where we should eat lunch. (No surprise there!) I know of a nice place to have a very special dinner there, but when it comes to fun and casual, I'm kinda at a loss. I felt certain that such a quaint little town just had to have more to offer than Burger King and MacDonalds, but how was I to find a really good one? Then I remembered my friend High School Debbie, whose daughter happens to live there in NB, and who spends a good bit of time there herself. I sent her a quick text, and moments later we were headed to a little mom & pop place called Cravings, over on W. San Antonio.


The name says it all!

My Pesto Prosciutto Paninni...
which came with a side of Taco Soup and some Fire Crackers
John's Portabello Mushroom on Focaccia
Chalkboards filled with funny sayings -- my favorite was the one behind the tree, about Johnny Depp.

Years and years ago, when we were living down in Kingsville, a friend told me "Support your local businesses, or one day, you won't have any." So, next time you're looking for a place to eat lunch, I want you to think about that. Don't be the guy who just gulped down yet another Big Mac or Whopper without thinking, then had to slap his forehead and say "Wow! I could've had Cravings!"

No comments: