Monday, October 15, 2012

M.I.A.

Well, I hate to tell you this, but it looks my hubby is taking me on another of his "adventures" -- but not to Paris this time. We were having just the loveliest time Sunday morning, laughing and joking as we ordered our lunch at Mima's, when out of the blue, somewhere between our booth and the condiment bar, he just dropped to the floor. He came to a moment later, and was talking to me, but I had them call the paramedics because I feared he might have had another little stroke. The ambulance took us to the nearest hospital, which was about 15 minutes away in Kyle. When the doctor found out he is on Plavix, a blood thinner, and that he might have hit his head on the concrete floor, she ordered a CAT scan. Next thing we knew, he was on a helicopter headed for Brackenridge Hospital in Austin.

There were signs of bleeding in his brain, but after doing an angiogram, we were told it was not from a bump on his head. The problem was an "intracranial fusiform aneurysm." Unlike the balloon-type aneurysms, this kind isn't as likely to rupture. The doctor said some veins are like old clay pipes, and because of his hypertension putting pressure on them, this section of "pipe" was swollen, which may have caused a little crack or fissure. He also said these things are often self-healing, if you can keep the pressure off of them. But, as we all know, where my hubby is concerned, that's a really big IF!

Right now he is fully-functioning and alert, his only complaint being a medium-strength headache and some dizziness and nausea when he moves around too much. He is still in ICU, and will be for a while, until they are sure he is out of danger. Your prayers and positive vibes would be greatly appreciated.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your husband's mishap. My husband had a cardiac arrest this year ( he survived it) so I know how scary all this stuff is. My prayers are with you and your husband.

Linda Hoye said...

Praying Becky.

Marguerite said...

Prayers and more prayers coming for you both. So sorry to hear this! Take care and keep us posted on his progress.

musingegret said...

Becky, I just now read your entry; my most fervent thoughts and prayers for John's healing are with you both. Stay strong, girl, we're all pulling for him. becca

Susan Ideus said...

Lots of prayers for you both, Becky!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks girlfriends. You'll never know how very much I appreciate all your loving thoughts!