Monday, September 3, 2012

BEST BITES: BOUGIOURDI


My friend Buffalo Woman spent a few weeks in Greece with her family this summer, and when she left to come home, her Greek daughter-in-law gave her a little pamphlet-style cookbook. I like Greek food, so I copied a few recipes from it, then promptly forgot about them. When I was trying to straighten up a pile of stuff in the kitchen this week, I stumbled across them again, and realized I'd had the perfect recipe for using up that bag of mixed peppers, right here, all along!

Bougiourdi

1/2 kg feta (about 16 or 18 oz.)
1 large tomato, diced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red banana pepper, sliced
olive oil
oregano
pepper

In a deep clay oven pot (which I don't have, so I used my little Le Creuset saucepot), lay the feta cheese. Add the tomato, peppers, some olive oil, oregano and pepper, and bake in the oven at 200 C (about 400 F.) for about 15 minutes. Serve while hot.

There you go -- that's all there is to it. Not a very specific recipe, I know, but that's what I love about it. We really need to learn to be more flexible and at ease with our cooking! The world will not end if you substitute a different kind of pepper, or use another kind of cooking vessel (as long as it's deep, heavy, and completely oven proof, including the handles). Just use your common sense. For instance, the cookbook didn't say whether this was meant to be an appetizer, a side dish, or what. Nor did it say how it was to be served. We opted to use it as our main course, and scooped it up onto big, sturdy crackers. Next time I might use it as a filling for pita pockets. It'd make a pretty good topping for a pizza too, and is similar to my filling of choice when I order a calzone (with the addition of some Greek olives) at our local Italian cafe. I don't think it matters how you serve it -- if you like feta cheese, you're gonna loooove this recipe! (P.S. I halved the recipe, and John and I still ate it two nights in a row.)

No comments: