Sunday, September 9, 2012

BEACH ZEN


Is there anything more wonderful than walking along the edge of an ocean, letting the water lap over one's feet? If so, I cannot think of it. I indulged in that luxury twice a day while we were in Port Aransas. In the evenings, after we got back from dinner, John and I would go out together. I love examining the remains of the day -- the things that are left behind when everyone packs up and heads home.



We could not see the sun set from here, so it was difficult to gauge time. One minute it was broad daylight, the next we were scurrying home, struggling to spot our little beach lodge behind the dunes in the dark.


Though we couldn't watch the sun set, we were situated perfectly for watching it come up each morning. I left my hubby snuggled up in bed and headed out while the moon was still up, to do my morning meditation on the beach. I had to pass by the hotel's three guards on my way out each day.


I absolutely adored having the beach completely to myself, though it never lasted for long. Eventually I would be joined by the lady with the giant dog and a flashlight, the couple with the sleepless baby in a stroller, and some bleary-eyed people who looked like they probably slept in their van.





But, at least for a little while, it was mine. All mine.

Well, except for a few million of those little white-bellied birds that scurry around, going ninety per.

You would not believe how hard it is to catch one of these guys standing still!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were there many shells or other flotsam on the beach?

Hill Country Hippie said...

Well, I found all kinds of interesting stuff, but most of the shells were partial, rather than complete, and I found no sea glass at all, to add to my tiny collection. I did see a million of those teeny, tiny clam-like shells though -- the ones that wash up with each new wave, then quickly try to burrow down into the sand.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. I'm going that way in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info - maybe there will be more when I go in a few weeks.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Have fun! The weather should be perfect by the time you get there. I can't wait to go back!