Friday, July 6, 2012

PAINT DOODLES

We'll be off playing with sonny boy tomorrow, so you are being invited into Studio Saturday a day early! This week's lesson was about paint doodling. My instructor thinks it's a great thing to use as a warming up exercise, to help you loosen up. First we did a practice page -- just playing with different elements such as line pressure, circles, organic shapes, etc.
Then she had us start another page, just by painting a few basic shapes, then expanding them with doodles to fill the entire page. No pre-sketching or pen-work allowed.
I liked the way it turned out, but there was way too much "intention" on my part, which sorta defeated the purpose of the whole exercise. I needed to keep practicing, until I could figure out how to just let go, and let it flow! Then I remembered how my ex-boss, the landscape architect, always used to put on certain music before she started doing any design work. She said it helped her switch over to right-brain-mode, and got her creative juices flowing.

The next lesson was to do a double-page spread of paint doodles, still no pre-sketching allowed, but afterwards, we could go back and do some embellishing and shading. Plus, we were to leave room on one side for some actual journaling. Before beginning, I switched on one of my Jesse Cook, classical guitar CDs.
The music worked! Before I knew it, I was loose as a goose. I was in the flow -- not thinking, just painting -- which led me to the perfect quote to use as my "journaling" on the companion page.
"After all, the object is not to make art, but to be in the wonderful state which makes art inevitable." ~ Robert Henri

Brought to you from my
Wee Little Studio

No comments: