Monday, July 23, 2012

ONE THING I LOVE: PLACES THAT FEEL GENUINE


Do you know what I mean when I talk about Disneyesque shops and restaurants? The ones that were built to a theme or country or time period, but which are all shiny and new and spotless, with none of the age or patina or character? They're always fun to go to once or twice when they first open, but they aren't the kind of thing that will keep calling me back, because I will never feel "at home" there.
When I kept hearing about a newish European cafe in old east Austin, called Blue Dahlia Bistro, I was willing to give it a try, but I assumed it would be one of these types. I figured there was just no way it would even come close to having that same feel that the cafes we visited in France last year had. I was wrong.
Loved the big communal tables down the center of the cafe.
John had the egg salad tartines. Mine had ham, gruyere, Dijon and cute little cornichons.
Nothing was there just to carry out a theme. It all served a purpose.
Our shared dessert of salted caramel gelato with chocolate chips.
It was a bit crowded and noisy on a Saturday morning, but unlike the infamous Franklin Barbecue, which is just down the street and had people lined up around the block, we were able to walk right in and get seated. The nicest thing about being retired, though, is that we no longer have to do everything on the weekends. We could easily come over here mid-week, have a leisurely brunch out on one of the patios, then wander over to the Violet Crown for an art house flick. In fact, we just might have to do it on a regular basis, for I could feel very much at home here. Tres, tres bien, non?


2 comments:

musingegret said...

Becky, thank you again for a lovely recommendation **and** the reminder about the Violet Crown (which I'd read about months ago!)

Hill Country Hippie said...

Always a pleasure -- you know how much I love 'splorin'!