Tuesday, July 3, 2012

THE ANTI-ECO SALVAGER

Mom and Dad, back in the day
My dad had an unbelievable talent for repurposing stuff -- which is pret-ty dang funny when you think about it for, if he were still alive today, I'm sure he'd probably call anyone involved in the eco movement or green industry a bunch of numbskull whackos. He didn't really believe in causes or movements, especially not Women's Lib! But, though he never fought for civil rights, he raised his kids not to be bigots, and though he never gave too much thought to preserving the planet for future generations, he just couldn't bear to throw away anything that might still have a bit of life left in it. He was a home-builder and -remodeler, and was forever wagging home the leftover bits and pieces, and stuffing them into our already overflowing garage -- which is why none of our cars were ever kept under cover. Our homes were always "works-in-progress", since my folks thought coming up with ways to change and improve them was the very best form of entertainment. And, no matter what new project Mom came up with, Dad could usually find the supplies he needed to complete it out in the garage or tool shed.

Even in his final days, after we'd moved them out of their house and disposed of most of his "stash", he still managed to fill up my sister's garage and shed with a good bit of stuff -- enough so that, when she suggested they combine their efforts to make some Christmas gifts one year, he managed to come up with the ingredients to make each of us a unique little footstool, according to the style of our homes.
We were living outside of Houston at the time, and had decorated our home and garden with a tropical theme, so this is the stool I got. How many people do you know who just happen to have some good thick bamboo and a nice piece of barkcloth hanging around?

Of course, my house is no longer tropical, and I'm afraid the fabric doesn't really match the red-striped swivel chair I use it with. Still, even though, like both my parents, I love to decorate and re-do, I just can't bear to change a thing about that stool!

No comments: