Wednesday, May 9, 2012

SOMETHING'S AFOOT!

The deer have not touched anything in our beds or pots since I pulled out the last of the veggies in winter - not even a nibble in John's big new beds. He thought he had it made, but I reminded him that we've had plenty of rain so far, and there's a lot of other stuff for them to feast on. I told him it might be a different story, once the summer dry spell sets in. "Besides, the babies aren't even here yet." All bets are off, once the babies arrive.

Then, day before yesterday, I noticed one of my pots had been chewed to bits. Not just any pot, but the big one on the porch. The one closest to the front door. The very last one they would normally mess with. Hmmmm. How odd.

Later that same day, shortly before noon, I was heading down our driveway for a trip into town. As I approached the copse of cedars right next to the drive -- the one where the deer enjoy napping in the heat of the day -- I spotted one deer squatting, as if she were about to her business. "Sorry Ma'am, didn't mean to intrude!" A few feet past, I suddenly slammed on the brakes. "Hey, wait a minute! Deer don't squat to do their business! They just let it go plop, plop, plop down our driveway as they walk along. They never even pause!" Again, how odd.

Well, yesterday morning in the wee, wee hours -- before the sun was even up -- I spotted something that had me running for my camera.
Yes, something is indeed afoot!

No comments: