Friday, May 11, 2012

FESTIVAL EYE CANDY

The older I get, the less enamored I am with "festivals." I hate the mosh-pit crowds, I can't take an entire day of blistering sun anymore, and I sure as heck don't need to buy more gee-gaws for my house or eat any cheesecake-on-a-stick. Still, there is one festival I don't mind going to. The Old Pecan St. Festival in Austin.
Pecan St. was the original name of what is now 6th St., and once a year they close it off for the weekend, and open it up to all sorts of vendors and purveyors of hand-crafted and repurposed or rejuvenated goods. I like it because it's smallish -- get there when it opens, and you can be finished before lunch. I go for all the color-mad eye candy.

Food Trucks
Agua Fresca
Ear Adornments

Haberdashery
Need a pair of spats or a steam punk pocket watch? This couple will soon have a brick & mortar location down on S. Congress -- I believe it's to be called "Dandy."
A possible future replacement for my current Mini - the new, sporty Mini. Only problem would be deciding who drives that, and who drives the Prius wagon. Perhaps we could assign days?
The one thing this guy adores as much as (possibly more than) our daughter -- blue raspberry sno-cones!
This portrait was assembled from a million individual wood chips.
I did cave in and buy one very cool necklace that I didn't really need, and came away with a nice little sunburn on the back of my neck, but it was a small price to pay for the never ending photo-ops, don't you agree?

No comments: