Monday, April 9, 2012

FUN WITH SHAVING CREAM

There's a wonderful group here in Wimberley, called Arts From the Heart, that started supplying art education to the kiddos in our community, since it wasn't being offered in the schools. They are the same group that held that chair auction we went to last year -- the one my daughter made her Dia de los Muertos chair for. While we were at that event, I got to talking with another woman about all the fun things this group does with the kids, and I said "Man, I wish they offered something like that for adults. I'd love to be able to do fun stuff like that!" Know what she said? "Ah, but they do! Once a month they host something called Corks & Creations. They provide an instructor and all the supplies, you bring a bottle of wine or some munchies, and everybody gets a chance to play, visit, have fun, and do something creative." I finally got around to attending my first one this past Thursday, and I promise you, it won't be my last. High School Debbie went with me (that's her standing up on the left) and we got to try our hands at making marbled paper.
When I heard we'd be doing marbling, I assumed it would be with inks floating on water. Au contraire. We dribbled our paints and food colors onto shaving cream. We then swirled them around with a skewer or popsicle stick, pressed the paper down into the design, lifted it up, scraped the excess shaving cream off the paper, et voila! You had gorgeous marbled papers that you could frame or wrap tiny gifts with, or maybe even cover a little notebook or journal with.
Some of Debbie's Creations
Here is what I ended up bringing home with me, in addition to that piece at the top.
Fun, Fun, Fun!

No comments: