Monday, March 19, 2012

SEASONAL COLOR MADNESS

One of the main reasons we went splorin' at the wildflower center Saturday was that we like to see what looks best at different times of the year. Autumn is my favorite season, so I gravitate towards plants that hit their peak in fall and, if I'm not careful, my garden could be dead boring the rest of the year. As we were moseying around, we each came up with several ideas for things that are bursting with color in early spring, to help kickstart our respective gardens.  My very favorite was this small native tree/shrub called Red Buckeye (Aesculus pavia var. pavia). Its blooms drove me absolutely color mad!
By lunchtime the next day, my hubby had found, bought and planted one for me! He's a good man. Which is why I would like to return the favor, by helping to identify his favorite plant of the weekend which, unfortunately, was not labeled. Anybody recognize this grassy-like plant with large, fuzzy plumes coming out of the base? Anybody?

No comments: