Tuesday, February 7, 2012

WHAT WE AMERICANS NEED TO WORK ON

Greetings from our little Holiday Inn Express in the "energy corridor" of Houston Texas. As I've mentioned before (more than once I'm sure) I get up waaaaay before my husband. That's fine at home, where there's plenty of space for me to go do my thing without disturbing him, but when we are sharing a hotel room, it can be problematic. That's why, whenever we travel, I usually wander downstairs or to a nearby cafe to enjoy a steaming mug of hot tea or cocoa, and to do a little writing or to enjoy a newspaper and a puzzle, which we no longer get at home.

So, this morning I came downstairs to where our hotel was serving their typical "free" breakfast. I had to grab one of their little styrofoam cups and a Lipton tea bag, then dispense some hot water from a carafe. I carried it over to one of the half-dozen or so little round tables in the lobby area, all of which already had several other business travelers seated at them, and climbed up onto one of the tall bar stools. Looking around at the others in the the room, I realized that, as if the giant flat screen TV that was blaring the Fox "news" station weren't enough, every single person was dividing their attention between that and either their laptops or their i-phones, or both, while gulping down their styro cups of coffe and shoveling in untasted/tasteless food from the buffet.

It got me to thinkin' -- about the mornings in France where I wandered downstairs to sip delicious beverages out of real mugs that warmed one's hands, and lingered to enjoy first the quiet, and then the sounds of a town waking up and coming to life. But it wasn't just me, the fortunate traveler, who was savoring my morning. The locals were doing it as well, as if they felt it was their due! We Americans are good at so very many things, but I'm afraid mornings just aren't one of them.

No comments: