Sunday, February 19, 2012

SIMPLE-HAPPY: SOFA DAYS

One thing I love is a day so dismal and dreary, that the only logical course of action is to spend it curled up on the sofa with a good book or movie, and a cup of hot tea or cocoa.
The movie I chose yesterday, Sarah's Key, was a bit of a disappointment -- a mere shadow of the novel itself. The book, however, has been quite delicious so far.
Unfortunately, I have now reached the part where Mr. Hemingway's narcissism is turning him into an unadulterated asshole. I've learned something though. I've learned that there is a male equivalent to the female personality that scares me most -- the perpetual cheerleader. If you read my other blog, Miss Becky Goes Abroad, you might remember my post about the aerobics instructor I worked with at a catering company once, who, when she realized her hubby no longer "worshipped" her as he once had, decided to have an affair with our French chef, who did. The affair ended in the chef committing suicide. I realize now that Ernest Hemingway has the same personality quirk that she had -- loving him with all one's heart just wasn't enough. He needed to be worshipped and adored. Once one began to see his human failings, though, he had no more use for you. It was time to move on to someone who would raise him back up onto that pedestal. Know anybody who's been married four or five times? What do you bet they shared this trait?

Still, even though I knew the train-wreck was a-comin', staying curled up on the sofa with The Paris Wife, while listening to the rain on our metal roof, was a pret-ty darn good way to spend a dismal day!

2 comments:

Marguerite said...

I've been debating about The Paris Wife. Should I buy it for Kindle or wait for it as a library check out? I'm preparing dinner for tonight. The Blood Orange and Beet salad awaits. No Blood Oranges available, so I'm subbing a Ruby Red grapefruit and a regular navel orange. Oh well, another time. Regarding the weather, what a difference a day makes!!

Hill Country Hippie said...

No kidding! Yesterday we were preparing for flash floods, today was spent at the nursery shopping for plants (along with a whole lot of other numbskulls who choose to ignore average-last-freeze-dates). Too bad my copy of The Paris Wife is a library book, or I'd just pass it on to you. Enjoy your special family dinner. I'm sure it will be fabulous even without the blood oranges!