Friday, February 3, 2012

SIMPLE HAPPY: A GREAT LITTLE LIBRARY

Nothing makes me happier than just hanging in a great little library. It's been that way since I was knee-hi to a duck, and my mom took us to story time at the old Lakewood Branch Library in Dallas.

Lakewood Library circa 1950
Image from eastdallastimes.com
That picture above shows the library of my childhood, which just happened to be right across from the old Lakewood movie theater. What better way to spend a Saturday than with the kid's matinee at the movie and a trip to the library? They later built a much bigger, more modern library elsewhere, but it was never the same for me. You see, I like my libraries cozy.
I like 'em with fireplaces and comfy chairs, and a meeting room that people in the community are welcome to use.
A good fiction selection is to be expected, and a great children's department is mandatory, but it's the little extras that make a library really special. Things like four bookcases filled with multiple copies of all the best new novels, for book clubs or anyone else who wishes to check them out.
If they happen to bring in great speakers now and again, well, that's just icing on the cake!

Susan Wittig Albert, author of the popular China Bayles mystery series, set right here in the Texas Hill Country.
Yep, I'm pretty picky when it comes to my favorite hangouts. How fortunate, then, that we have just such a library, right here in Wimberley!
And it even has a rain tank!

No comments: