Friday, January 20, 2012

'TIS THE SEASON: BABY BRUSSELS SPROUTS

The Bountiful Sprout had a listing for "Baby Brussels Sprouts" this week, and since those were one of the few veggies available this time of year, and since I now know just how yummy they can be, if cooked correctly, I ordered them. When they described them as "baby", they weren't just a whistlin' Dixie! Are these precious, or what?

Baby-oh-Baby!
Last night I had some leftover pork tenderloin that I decided to make Cuban-style sandwiches out of, with mustard and dill pickle. At first I couldn't think of what to serve with them, but then I remembered these babies.  I tossed them with a little olive oil and sea salt, spread them out on a cookie sheet, then roasted them at 400 F. until they started to caramelize and get those nice crispy brown splotches on them.  Man-oh-man, were they ever tasty.  We ate them with our fingers, like popcorn or chips!

1 comment:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
#
JoBeth Cloud Benefit of working the the Extension demo garden on Monday mornings, get the veggies. Came home with Brussel sprouts. I think the "babies" are ones harvested early. The ones I removed were at the bottom of the stalk and not "babyish" at all...looking for plants to go with my brocolli
Friday at 8:46am · UnlikeLike · 2
#
Kathy Kilmer Moak Love them roasted or steamed - olive oil, sea salt, & I usually sprinkle a little grated parmesean over them. Yum!
Friday at 9:40am · UnlikeLike · 1
#
Rebecca Vanhart My fave:cut em in half after short parboil. saute in oo & a bit of butter. toss w/toasted pecans a little lemon juice, sea salt & freshly ground pepper. ('Babies' prob don't need parboil)
#
Al Newsom let 'em grow up to be big tasty sprouts, and roasted with balsamic vinegar