Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A MUSHROOM MAVEN WANNA-BE

Guess what I got for Christmas?  A farm!  A mushroom farm!! An oyster mushroom mushroom farm, to be precise (my very favorite kind) albeit, a somewhat compact one.  Wanna see it?

Taa-Daa!
According to the package, I should be able to grow up to 1 1/2 lbs. of tasty oyster mushrooms right from this box.  All I have to do is remove that little perforated section of cardboard, cut a "+" in the soil bag (actually, they use recycled coffee grounds for soil), mist it with water a couple of times a day, et Voila!  In about 10 days or so, we'll be savoring delicious oyster mushrooms sauteed in butter, garlic and a splash of vino for supper.  At least, I hope we will.
When I've harvested all from that first crop, I should be able to flip the box around, punch out the panel on the other side, and do it all over again for another crop!  How fun is that?  Of course, the sweet friend who gave this to me probably paid more for the kit than it would cost to buy an equivalent amount of mushrooms at the farmers' market, but, hey!  You can not put a price tag on this kind of giddiness, now, can you?

No comments: