Thursday, December 8, 2011

HE WORE BELLS THAT JINGLE-JANGLE-JINGLED

The first day I was in Houston, I dropped my hubby off at work, spent an hour or so at my favorite bagel joint, then headed for Memorial City Mall.  Why would I spend most of the day at a mall, when I don't even like to shop?  Because I love, love, looooove to people watch.  And take pictures.  Not long after I got there, I paused to gaze at a window display (I'm an ex-merchandiser, if you recall) when suddenly I heard a jingling noise approaching.  I spun around just in time to see this guy go by.  Instead of spurs on his heels, he had bells!  I decided to follow him.
 I followed him past the most magical indoor playground I've seen in any mall...
past the little choo-choo train, whose overall-clad engineer had just hung a "be right back" sign on it and snuck out the door, before I could nab a picture of him...
and past the most inviting fireplace I've ever seen.
I got distracted for a bit, watching some skaters practice their leaps and spins.  I thought I had lost him!  But, then, I saw this:
So, what would induce parents to take time off from work, just to stand in a line still so long that some of those toddlers were sure to suffer meltdown long before reaching their destination?  This:
Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.  The most beautiful, authentic Claus ever!  No padding, nor wig, nor beard did he don.

The whole experience reminded me of one of the things I am so very grateful for these days: the gift of freedom -- the freedom to avoid the chaotic craziness of weekend shopping, and to visit a mall mid-week instead...when all is calm...all is bright!

No comments: