Wednesday, November 16, 2011

STRONGER THAN SHE LOOKS

Well, our Fiber Woman wasn't joking when she said she enjoyed a challenge.  Everyone at my little get-together today took a gander at my kitchen shutters, but after five minutes or so of fiddling with the difficult ones, we all decided we'd rather go chow down on a few of my fall favorites: roasted hazelnuts with thyme and sea salt;  orzo salad with spicy pecans, feta, and dried apricots; beautiful fall pears with orange dipping sauce; and havarti-pecan quesadillas with pear preserves.  
All except Miss Cheryl, that is.  She cut away fabric to get a better view, used a wooden skewer to feel around with, tugged and pulled, and finally, she did it!  Now, whether we will be able to get those rods back in again is another matter altogether, but she met her challenge, and won a raspberry-colored market basket for her efforts.
Outdoor Woman said "Well, if I'd known it was actually a good prize, I would have worked a bit harder at it!"
I gave them all caramel apples as consolation prizes -- the old fashioned, made from scratch, unwrap a hundred individual caramels kind.  They were happy.

2 comments:

GoP said...

I still say notch out the top with a dremel tool and lay the rods back in. You could even use a little museum putty to hold them down if you are worried about them popping back out!

Hill Country Hippie said...

I'm not really sure what you mean, since the only tool I've ever used is a hammer, but I bet if I show this to my hubby he will get it. Thanks for the suggestions!