Thursday, November 10, 2011

OUR SIDEWALK CAFE "FAIL"

Hubby and Toad on the patio at Mima's
More and more U.S. restaurants are finally climbing aboard the sidewalk cafe bandwagon, and have added nice outdoor seating areas.  Unfortunately, no matter how nice the area is, it is never as much fun for me as sitting in the French sidewalk cafes was.  I kept asking myself "Why?"

Several of our cafes here in Wimberley have beautiful stone terraces, some with nice covers overhead, in case of rain, and with heaters and fans to keep you at the right temperature.  Some even overlook the creek, or sit beneath a beautiful shade tree.  Still, there is something missing, and I just couldn't put my finger on it for the longest time.

Then, just a few days ago, I decided to go to my new favorite Tex-Mex place over in Kyle, across the parking lot from our big HEB.  I was planning to go get a few groceries after I ate, so I parked close to HEB and walked across the parking lot back to the cafe, which has a lovely covered eating area outside, facing the parking lot.  That's when it hit me -- it faces a dang parking lot!  They all do.  Either that, or a street full of honking, smog-belching traffic.  Oh, a few special ones might face some greenery or a creek, but none of them faces this...
or this...
or this...
What's so special about these locations, you ask?  Well, it's not that they are in France.  It's that they each face onto a pedestrian-friendly street or plaza -- streets and plazas full of life, in motion!  Places where I could sit and enjoy the ever-changing display the live-long day, without ever getting bored.  And that, my friends, is why I keep finding myself sitting in one of our U.S. cafes, dreaming of being here:

7 comments:

Marguerite said...

Ohhhh, Having just returned from europe, I feel exactly as you do. We need more pedestrians and less cars. If our fuel prices ever go as high as europe's, we will be forced to walk more and drive less. Add to that some nice efficient and safe public transportation and life is good! Love your picture, you look so haaaapppeee!

Hill Country Hippie said...

There's no place I'm happier than a sidewalk cafe. Writers just love to people-watch, and eavesdrop. But don't tell anybody here in Wimberley, or they'll be afraid to sit next to me in a cafe! Glad you had a great time on your trip.

Rainy Day Gardener said...

You bring up such a good point. It's so sad that motor transportation gets the upper hand here in the states. Maybe cities will consider blocking off parts of town to car traffic in order to promote a different pace and atmosphere? I know, I'm dreaming. Shame though.

Geoff said...

New urbanism is kind of like old urbanism. People can live in walkable, mixed-use environment and get all of the benefits of having those kinds of spaces. Many people talk about them as "Third Spaces" (after home and work). Those are the spaces that build community and civic involvement and are so lively.

Those spaces exist in the US. They exist primarily in cities where people walk places. But what we don't have in places like that are big, wide open spaces and the relaxation that you have.

I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too?

Hill Country Hippie said...

Well, maybe you can't have it all at once, but the good thing about living so long is that we have time to "try on" different lifestyles, see how they fit. I lived the "walking lifestyle" both in college and on the company compound in Indonesia, I've done the 'burbs, and now I'm trying a combo of country/small town living. Wonder what's next?

Anonymous said...

having just come from Andalusia in Spain, I totally get where you are coming from. So many plazas and squares where people congregate to drink coffee and shop. I definitely found my walking legs again and enjoyed it so much. Wish we had more of that kind of culture here. It would serve us well to have more community and less rat race! I really am enjoying your blog as you are very insightful! Susan K.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Susan, Spain is at the top of my Bucket List. Looks like you and your sister had a fabulous time!