Saturday, October 29, 2011

TOMATO TANTRUM

Remember the three tomato plants I planted way last spring?  The ones I've been boring you to death about for eight solid months now?  The ones the deer chomped in half as soon as I planted them, but which then came back to life just when I was ready to yank them out?  The ones that started fruiting just in time for it all to get stunted and shriveled by our record streak of triple digit temps, and then started fruiting again?

My Black Prince...
my Yellow Plum...
and my Juliet?

Juliet is the one I left sitting in its pot for-ev-er, not even sure if it was worth the trouble to plant it.  It was a straggly, half-dead mess when I finally got around to putting it in the ground.  Now it's huge and lush and absolutely loaded with fruit that is just coming ripe.  I picked my first piece yesterday, and was hoping to have enough to roast by the end of the week.

Of course, we did have a cool front come through this week, and they predicted our temps dipping down into the low 40's. perhaps, but that's not enough to get yer knickers in a twist over, right?  So, imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning, only to discover our handy-dandy electronic thermometer reading thirty-frickin-four-degrees!


They still look ok to me, so I guess my question is, how long will it be before I know whether to pitch a hissy fit or not?

2 comments:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
*
Jack Proffitt Not to worry - even a short time at 32 probably wouldn't hurt them. And a belated Happy Birthday!

*
Becky Thomas Lane Whew, that's a relief!

Betty Saenz said...

Yummy, yummy, nothing like fresh home grown tomatoes- red, yellow or green! I have some growing in my yard too!!!