Monday, October 17, 2011

'TIS THE SEASON: AUTUMN IN NEW YORK

One more quick post, and then I really need to start thinking about what to pack for this trip!  I head to San Marcos for my periodontist appointment at 1:00 today, then go straight from there to Austin, to check into my little hotel near the airport.  I've always heard about autumn in New York.  In fact, I'm pretty sure they've written songs about it.  I must not have been listenin' too good though, because what I've been picturing is not at all what the weather forecasts are describing.  Looks like it's gonna be a cold, wet one!

Meanwhile, down here in hot, dry central Texas, it's still okra season, and I just had to share my new favorite recipe with you.  Like most people, my favorite way to eat okra is fried, but I hardly ever cook it that way because a) it'll kill you, and b) it's a bitch to clean up after!  So, lately, I've mostly been using it to make Bhindi, a curried Indian thingy.  Recently, however, I decided to consult my new favorite veggie cookbook, and I found this recipe for oven-fried okra.  I've never had great luck with oven-frying in the past, but since I trust this author, I decided to take a chance.  Low and behold, it got two thumbs up from the hubster, and it was so, so easy!

OVEN-FRIED OKRA
from Serving Up the Harvest, by Andrea Chesman
(serves 4)

2 T. canola or peanut oil
1 pound okra, stems removed and pods sliced 1/4 inch thick (4 cups)
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 F.  Pour the oil onto a baking sheet and spread for an even coating. (Note: I got better, crispier results when I used my dark non-stick cookie sheet than I did when I used a small, heavy light-colored sheet that was made out of stainless steel or something like that)


Combine the okra, bread crumbs, salt, thyme and pepper in a medium bowl. (One time I had some leftover roasted fingerling potatoes in the fridge, that were a bit limp and soggy, so I threw them in with the okra and crumbs.  They turned out crisp and delicious!) Toss until well coated.  With a slotted spoon, transfer the okra to the baking sheet, shaking off the excess crumbs.


Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the okra is well browned and tender, turning once.  Serve hot.


I'm tellin' ya, it was so fast, so easy, and tasted so darn good with that leftover meatloaf I had for supper last night, that it's gonna be hard to find anything to top it in N.Y.  But I'm willing to give it an honest try ;-)  Hasta la vista, Baby.  See you in a few days!

2 comments:

Teri H said...

This sounds and looks good! We've been roasting ours with olive oil, salt and pepper and still can't get enough!

Hill Country Hippie said...

OK, that clinches it. Roasting makes ANY vegetable taste great! I was already cooking most of my other veggies that way, but never thought about doing it with okra. Do you slice them before roasting, or leave them whole?