Sunday, July 24, 2011

THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY: A SIMPLE BOUQUET

A fancy store-bought bouquet is nice, but what I love even more is being able to wander about my yard and scrounge up something interesting or a bit unusual.  Those bouquets have seasonality, for they change from week to week.  Unfortunately, I don't take the time to do this near often enough.

There isn't much blooming here this time of year.  In fact, the whole yard is looking a bit Sahara-like.  However, as I was trimming back some basil that had run amok, it occurred to me that those bloom stalks would look mighty pretty in my little ironstone jug.  Then, seeing how nice that looked on my dining room table, I was inspired to serve dinner there, instead of in front of the TV -- a bad habit we fell into once the kids left and we began living apart during the week.  This made me really happy.

SLOW + SIMPLE = HAPPY!

So, what did you do this week, to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life, that made you really happy?

4 comments:

Marguerite said...

I discovered I love a sprig of fresh basil in my ice water! Just bruise it a bit to release flavor and add a lemon slice. Cool, refreshing and calorie free. :)

Hill Country Hippie said...

You should smell my living room right now!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
Priscilla Lane: interesting. Just yesterday I was telling my friend Dru (as we drove down the highway past wild chicory) how I used to love making arrangements from the wild flowers, incl. chicory, that grew in the lot next to us in Va.
*
Becky Thomas Lane: I don't think I've ever seen chicory.
*
Priscilla Lane: Here's a link http://en.m.wikipedia.org/​wiki/Chicory
*
Becky Thomas Lane: Pretty!
*
Nellie Gonsoulin Hartsell: I tried to comment but couldn't so here goes; I slowed down today by taking a long time to get back home from Austin; stopped in Wimberley for breakfast with Miss Becky, in Martindale to look at a furniture store that specializes in home-made pieces, Fulshear for tacos and a bit of window shopping!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Hey Nellie, there's no such thing as too much Mexican food! We had it for lunch yesterday, brunch with you today, then tried to go to our little homemade pizza/brew pub place for dinner tonight, but it was closed, so we had to go to the Mexican joint next door instead. Three times in two days!