Saturday, May 14, 2011

RUTH REICHL'S PARISIAN DINING DILEMMA


OK, I'm looking over an article called Last Time I Saw Paris.  I tore it out of Gourmet magazine several years ago, and it's all about Reichl's quest for the Paris she remembered from the 60's -- not the classic tourist haunts, but the kind of places where local people get together to enjoy great meals that don't cost a fortune.  The only trouble is, it's hard to make up my mind!  So, which of these do you think my hubby would prefer?

A) The one where "if you are ever going to be tempted to try pigs' head cheese, cows' udders, or veal kidneys, this is the place...his lamb brains are soft, sweet little puffs dotted with gently roasted garlic...his salad of shredded pig's ear is a textbook on the nature of crispness..."

OR

B) The one where "Robert cooked his great haunches of beef right in the old fireplace."

1 comment:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
*
Priscilla Lane
Well, duh. Big hunks of meat would undoubtedly by John's choice. Don't know if it's still there, but last time we were in Paris we were in the area around the Sorbonne and stumbled onto a cafe called Au Charpentier (The Carpenter). They ...served food family style and I have no recollection of what we ordered, just that we loved being in a local place with "real" people. BTW, I had to use the facilities and there was no toilet--just a porcelain hole in the floor with places for your feet on either side!!See More
15 minutes ago · LikeUnlike
*
Becky Thomas Lane That was the norm in Asia, but I never new they had them in France!