Friday, March 4, 2011

VANITY

My new-fangled solar clothes dryer.

I have never considered myself to be a vain or prideful person.  I've never wanted expensive jewelry, designer clothes, or a luxury car.  I've never felt the need to cover my grey (well, I do add hi-lites to my hair, so I guess that's kinda vain), nor have I considered having any strictly cosmetic surgeries - 'though, if these eyelids droop any further, I'm gonna have to prop them up with toothpicks in order to see!

One thing I am quite proud of, however, is my brand new clothesline. (despite John's remark about his mom being up in heaven going "Those Stupes!  Why would anyone choose to go back to a clothesline, when they have a perfectly good dryer sitting a few feet away?")

The other vanity I must admit to is my health.  Perhaps because my own mom was a bit of a hypochondriac and drama queen, I have gone to great pains to prove that I am neither of the above.  I absolutely love being able to say "I'm 57 years old, don't take any meds at all, and the only time I go to the doctor is for my annual check-up."

Granted, last time I had one of those, they did mention that my cholesterol was higher than it should be.  But, since my good cholesterol levels were high enough to keep the ratio in balance, they gave me some time to work on getting it back to where it should be.  So I did.  I started eating steel cut oats with added flax at least five mornings a week.  I made sure I got some kind of exercise almost every day.  I ate lots of good fresh veggies, and very little meat.  And, I lost about one third of the excess weight that had been dragging me down.  I was quite proud of myself, and felt sure that when they got the results of this week's blood work back, I'd be receiving congratulatory pats on the back.

Au contraire, mon amis.  Instead, my total cholesterol is now about thirty points higher than it was last time!  Well, my momma always said "Pride goeth before the fall."  That, or a good gust of wind.
Guess it still needs some work.

3 comments:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:

Jean Ohm: Loved your blog today, Becky.
6 hours ago · Like

Becky Thomas Lane: Thanks Jean - you are always so generous with your compliments!
5 hours ago · Like

JoBeth Cloud: A woman after my own heart. You know how I feel about a clothesline. Just beware the wasps and yellowjackets. As for the cholesterol, I ate enough cheerios to cover Sears Tower, to absolutely no avail. People say, "Oh you still look so young, just like your mother." Yes, and I can also thank her for high blood pressure (meds) and a cholesterol level from hell. My sister and I have been on meds due to both for years. But I do still love my mom. I will take the bad with the good. :-)

Hill Country Hippie said...

From a good friend, via email:

ok, becky just bite the bullet and take your medicine!!!!! I remember being 50 and determined not to have to start taking lots of meds. I was skinnier, exercising , eating healthy and then got the news about my heart. I had a choice to whine about all of the meds like my dad would do or embrace them as a miracle that was going to keep me alive. i decided to be happy I had the medicine avaliable to me. So every morning and night when i take the meds that have some side effects that are not so great, I just pop them in my mouth and feel thankful. I do feel good I made it through menopause without hormones or a hysterectomy, and so can you. you know you just can only do so much about genetics!

when i saw your picture of your clothes line i knew what was going to happen!!! up high on your hill top with all the gusts of winds. you might have to just stretch a rope between two trees. it works fine, i know i have one like that. use some greenlline and when there are no clothes you hardly see the line.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Yes, you are all correct, and I've made up my mind to do whatever it takes to stay healthy, even if it means taking a bunch of pills!