Saturday, February 12, 2011

WHOSE VOICE WOULD YOU RATHER HEAR: TIME TO VOTE!

I've spent the last couple of days filling out a questionnaire for Michelle, my new blog designer.  Now that it's complete, she hopes to have a first draft to me by tomorrow evening, and we could possibly go live with it by "Wednesday-ish."

One of the questions she asked concerned sense of style (ex: shabby chic, vintage, modern, scrap booky, Victorian, etc), and my reply to her was "Have you ever seen the movies Out of Africa, Passage to India, or Australia?  Well, those courageous British Colonial women who left behind everyone they loved and all that was familiar, to follow a man with a dream, have always been my heroines, my role models.  I think I'd like this blog to feel like it could have been a scrapbook or diary or series of letters  that was written by one of them."  I guess it got me to thinkin', subconsciously, cuz I went to bed with one thing in mind, but as I was coming awake the next morning, I distinctly heard someone say "Well, if you want it to feel like a diary or letters, shouldn't the stories be in young Miss Becky's voice, not yours?"

Whoever that was, whispering in my ear, has a valid point.  The thing is, I'm just not sure I can pull it off.  While it's easy to remember how you felt when something was going on, no one can remember a lifetime of dialogue and details.  Can I make her voice sound authentic?  And what about those memory gaps?  Old Becky is allowed to admit that she can't remember whether it was her entire engagement ring that showed up in the mail, or just the diamond.  All she remembers is chasing around the neighborhood with her mom, looking for the mailman, on the day it was to arrive.  Young Becky can't say "I don't remember", so you'd have to trust me to fill in those gaps to the best of my ability.

Anyhoo, I've taken the liberty of writing an alternative mini chapter, about our long-distance engagement.  This one is written from young Miss Becky's perspective, and has been posted here, on Miss Becky Goes Abroad.  Won't you please be so kind as to give it a gander, then leave a comment letting me know which voice you found to be more compelling?  I'd be ever so grateful!

No comments: